Boosting Heat Exchanger Performance by Tube Cleaning
What is the most commonly used equipment in industrial plants? In an industrial facility, you can find an abundance of equipment that participate in the production of various goods. But there are only a few pieces of equipment that can facilitate such large-scale industrial production. One of those essential types of equipment is a Heat Exchanger which is used to regulate the temperature in the production facility. It can directly impact the rate of production and when you consider that factor, you can conclude it is one of the most crucial pieces of equipment to have in a production facility.
The most preferred variant of the Heat Exchanger is the shell-and-tube type. However, the popularity of newly introduced plate-and-frame exchangers is rapidly increasing and it is also well-liked by many operators across the globe. Since both variants are used for cooling and heating the industrial plants, they are considered as a crucial production facility.
Why Heat Exchangers Are Necessary For Industrial Plants?
Heat Exchanger is an integral part of any industrial plant so here are some pointers that explain its functioning in these facilities:- •
- The exchangers act as a condenser for power plants. It is mostly used to cool down the steam discharged from the facility which is later condensed within the shell side of the heat exchanger.
- In some cases, it is used to eliminate non-condensable like oil or to create a vacuum to remove any unwanted gas, which makes it suitable for oil-gas applications.
- In the chemical process industry, they are used to regulate the unstable temperature, they do the job of cooling and heating the facility when the situation demands it. So no matter what kind of industrial plant it is, heat exchangers are a crucial part of almost all industrial facilities.
Factors Affecting The Performance of Heat Exchanger
Several factors are considered before developing a Heat Exchanger. Those factors are flow rate, property of fluid or gas, temperatures, surface area, and plate or tube material. In today’s day and age, we can see technological advancements positively affecting the development of Heat Exchangers i.e. it has enhanced their efficiency by many folds.
However, the factors that majorly affect the performance of the heat exchanger are:- the value used for the heat transfer coefficient and the cleanliness of the tubes. These factors directly impact the performance of any Heat Exchanger. You can’t control the heat transfer coefficient but you can clean your equipment from time to time with the help of a tube cleaning brush. If you have left your Heat Exchanger unchecked for a period then many unwanted substances can adhere to the tube or plate surface, thus decreasing its performance. Cleaning is an easy way to boost the performance of your heat exchanger.
Benefits You Get From Cleaning Your Heat Exchanger Periodically
- Maintenance of heat exchangers is important since it ensures that the systems are performing at their maximum output. Mainly because regular maintenance helps you avoid any future or emergency repairs.
- The cost of cleaning a heat exchanger is still smaller than the loss you’re gonna face if the production stops due to an emergency breakdown. Thus it’s wise to minimize the fouling factor in the early stages.
- Periodic cleaning is the most effective technique to eliminate all the dirt and debris that may have accumulated over time. Through the use of proper chemicals, the heat exchanger can be cleaned thoroughly of any unnecessary deposits.
- Regularly analyzing and addressing Issues in Heat Exchanger efficiency ables you to figure out any minor discontinuities in the equipment. Not many people are aware but heat exchanger efficiency issues are not always evident in the form of leaks and blockage.
- Once cleaned the heat exchanger will once again perform at its maximum capacity.